Solving Issues with Connecting to ELMA
This article offers solutions to issues with connecting to the ELMA server. It happens so, that if you configure the system and the configuration file correctly, the system is still unavailable or available only from one machine (locally, remote connections are blocked). Usually, the operating system interferes with the ELMA server.
Configure Windows Firewall
If after installing ELMA, a user can only connect to the server locally (on the computer, where the server is installed) and in case of a remote connection an error occurs, the first thing you should do is configure the Windows Firewall. Let's consider how to configure the Standard Windows Firewall:
- Find out what ports ELMA uses. The article Changing the ELMA web server port describes how to configure server ports. If the Designer is installed on a separate machine, you should also open the Designer connection port. It is specified in Administration - Settings - General Settings - Designer connection port.
- Configure Windows Firewall. To do this, go to Start - Control Panel - Windows Firewall.
Click Advanced Settings in the left menu. If you are asked to enter the the administrator’s password or to confirm it, type in the password or provide confirmation.
In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window, select Inboud Rules and click New Rule in the context menu.
Specify the following settings in the rule creation wizard:
- Rule Type: Port;
- Protocols and ports: TCP, Specific local ports: specify the ports selected in the first step, separate them by commas, e.g. 8000,7070;
- Action: Allow the connection;
- Profile: Leave all the checkboxes selected (domain, private, public)
- Name: Type ELMA in this field;
- Click Finish and try to connect from a remote machine.
You can use Command Prompt to perform the same actions:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Enter the following set of commands:
rem enable windows firewall:
netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state on
rem enable port 8000
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Elma_8000" protocol=TCP localport=8000 action=allow dir=IN
rem enable port 7070
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Elma_7070" protocol=TCP localport=7070 action=allow dir=IN
Configure antimalware software
Sometimes antimalware software blocks the system. In this case, you need to add the ELMA directory to exceptions. These settings depend on the antimalware software.